https://optimalnutritionprotocol.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/TOMATO-AND-RED-PEPPER-SOUP0A.jpg 4000 4000 Optimal Nutrition Protocol https://optimalnutritionprotocol.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Optimal-Nutrition-Protocol_Logo.png Optimal Nutrition Protocol2019-04-04 14:28:202021-07-11 17:54:54Tomato And Red Pepper Soup
Tomato And Red Pepper Soup
- 2 large red bell peppers left whole
- 1 cup can crushed or peeled tomatoes in juices
- 1 cup can tomato paste
- 1 cup water sub up to half with extra coconut milk for creamier soup
- 1 cup can light coconut milk use full fat for creamier soup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dried dill or sub 3 Tbsp (5 g minced fresh dill per 1 1/2 Tbsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil or sub 2 tsp minced fresh basil per 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 3-4 Tbsp coconut sugar or stevia to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flake optional // for heat
- FOR SERVING optional
- Sliced tomatoes
- Fresh dill
- Full-fat coconut milk
- Nutritional yeast or Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Black pepper
- Roast red peppers in a 500 °F (260 °C) oven (on a foil-lined baking sheet) or over an open flame on a grill or gas stovetop until tender and charred on all sides - about 10-15 minutes in the oven, or 5 minutes over an open flame. Then wrap in foil to steam for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, add remaining soup ingredients to large pot and bring to a simmer. Then unwrap red peppers, let cool to the touch, and remove charred outer skin seeds and stems. Add to soup
- Transfer to blender to purée soup. Then transfer back to saucepan/pot and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more coconut sugar or stevia to sweeten, red pepper flake for heat, basil or dill for earthiness, garlic powder for overall flavor, or salt for saltiness. I added a bit more of each. Go for big flavor!
- Let simmer on low for at least 10 more minutes. The longer it simmers, the deeper the flavor develops.
- Serve as is or top with desired toppings, such as croutons, fresh dill or basil, tomatoes and/black pepper.